Embryological development of the ovary:
♦ It arises from the genital ridge.
Description of the ovary:
Site:in the ovarian fossa on the lateral pelvic wall.
• Boundaries of fossa: *Anterior: external iliac artery, &
Obliterated umbilical artery.
*Posterior: internal iliac artery & ureter.
• Floor of fossa: *obturator internus muscle.
*obturator vessels & nerves.
• Roof of fossa: * Broad ligament cover the fossa.
Size:1 × 2 × 3 cm.
Shape:almond-shaped with pearly white shape.
Parts & relations:
a) 2 surfaces:
Medial surface: related to fimbriae of the tube.
Lateral surface: related to ovarian fossa.
b) 2 ends:
Upper end: *Related to small intestine.
*Gives attachment to fimbria ovarica & suspensory ligament.
Lower end: *Related to ovarian fossa.
*Gives attachment to ovarian ligament.
c) 2 borders:
Anterior border : mesovarium to posterior surface of broad ligament
Posterior border: related to fallopian tube.
Structure of the ovary:
• Area of attachment of mesoverium.
• Blood vessels & nerves serving the ovary through it.
2. Medulla:dense C.T. surrounded by the ovarian cortex.
• The outer active part of ovary responsible for production of hormones & oocytes.
• Lined by germinal epithelium (single layer of cubical layer).
• Consists of dense C.T. stroma in which Graffian follicle in various stages are scattered.
4. Tunica albuginea: C.T.
The ovary is the only abdominal organ that isn’t covered by peritoneum.
At birth, each ovary contains about one million primary follicles.
Functions of the ovary:
♦ Exocrinal function: production of ova every cycle during CBP.
♦ Endocrinal function: production of steroids (sex hormones).
Blood supply of the ovary:
1) Ovarian artery: *arise from abdominal aorta at L2 level.
*pass through Infundibulopelvic ligament.
2)Ovarian branch from uterine artery.
B. Venous:pampiniform plexus ovarian vein:
Right ovarian vein IVC.
Left ovarian vein left renal vein IVC.
Nerve supply of the ovary:
1) Via pre-aortic plexus that accompany ovarian vessels:
A.Sympathetic : ( T 10, T11).
B.Parasympathetic: (S 2, 3, 4).
2) The ovary is insensitive except to squeezing on P.V. examination.
Lymph drainage of the ovary:
To para-aortic L.Ns via ovarian lymphatics.
Videos and power point presentations of the ovary:
structures in the ovary
Formation of the ovary
A description by authors of ‘A new model of development of the mammalian ovary and follicles.’ Hummitzsch K, Irving-Rodgers HF, Hatzirodos N, Bonner W, Sabatier L, Reinhardt DP, Sado Y, Ninomiya Y, Wilhelm D, Rodgers RJ. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):e55578
Female Reproductive System : The Ovaries Of The Female Reproductive System
This video takes a look at the ovaries. We will examine the structure, function as well as the supporting ligaments and the uterine tubes.
Lesson 2 in our Female Reproductive System series. This is part of our Anatomy and Physiology lecture series.