A mucous cyst is a benign, mucous-containing cystic lesion of the minor salivary glands. This type of lesion is more commonly referred to as a mucocele, since most lack an epithelial lining and are by definition not true cysts. The location of these lesions can vary. Superficial mucoceles are located directly under the mucosa—most commonly in the soft palate, the retromolar region, and the posterior buccal mucosa—and represent approximately 6% of all mucoceles.1,2 Classic mucoceles are located in the upper submucosa; deep mucoceles are located in the lower corium. Furthermore, 2 types of mucous cysts occur based on the histologic features of the cyst wall. The more common is a mucous extravasation cyst formed by a mucous pool surrounded by granulation tissue; this type accounts for 92% of these lesions. The other is a mucous retention cyst with an epithelial lining, which accounts for the remaining 8%.3,4

Surgical removal of mucocele from lower lip

Excision of Inner Lip Mucocele