Screening inclusion criteria in Retinopathy of Prematurity :
All babies born at <31wk gestational age or <1,251g birthweight (must be screened upto 30 wks and 6 days )
All babies born at <32wk gestational age or <1,501g birthweight Should be screened up to 31 wks and 6 days with less evidence but considered good practice)
⏰First screening examination ⏰
⏰ Babies born <27wk gestational age
First exam to be at 30–31wk post-menstrual age
⏰ Babies born between 27 and 32wk
First exam to be at 4–5 wks postnatal age
⏰ Babies born >32wk gestational age but their
weight < 1501 gm (First exam to be at 4–5wk postnatal age )
✍️Frequency of screening in Retinopathy of Prematurity :
• vessels end in zone I or zone II
• any plus or pre-plus disease
• any stage 3 disease (any zone)
• any stage 3 disease may require long-term follow-up as clinically indicated.
✍️Once/ 2 wks ( fortnightly)
• All other circumstances where termination criteria not reached
Termination of screening in Retinopathy of Prematurity :
• In babies with no ROP
• Vascularization has extended into zone III (usually after 36 completed weeks post-menstrual age)
• In babies with ROP not requiring treatment
•Two successive examinations showing any of:
Lack of increase in severity.
Partial resolution progressing towards complete resolution.
Change in colour in the ridge from salmon-pink to white.
Transgression of vessels through the demarcation line.
Commencement of the process of replacement of active ROP lesions by scar tissue.
ROP treatment guidelines in Retinopathy of Prematurity :
Treatment criteria ( who to treat)
• Zone I, any ROP with plus disease
• Zone I, stage 3 without plus disease
• Zone II, stage 3 with plus disease
• Zone II, stage 2 with plus disease
Timing of treatment (when to treat )
• Aggressive ROP Treat as soon as possible (<48h)
• All other ROP requiring treatment Treat within 48–72h
Technique (how to treat )
• Transpupillary diode laser to give near-confluent (0.5–1.0 burn-width) laser burn spacing to the entire avascular retina
Post-treatment follow-up in Retinopathy of Prematurity :
First examination 5–7 days post-treatment
• Subsequent examination(s) Initially at least weekly, looking for signs of activity and regression
• then as clinically indicated
Retreatment in Retinopathy of Prematurity
Failure of ROP to regress 10–14 days post-initial treatment
Retinopathy of Prematurity powerpoint presentation:
Retinopathy of prematurity by Dr Paavan Kalra Department of Ophthalmology S P Medical College Bikaner
INTRODUCTION • Disease of retinal vasculature in immature retina of a premature neonate • Results from interruption of normal vascularization • Characterized by vaso-obliteration/ vaso cessation followed by abnormal neovascularization and ultimately cicatrisation.
Retinopathy Of Prematurity Dr. samarth mishra
Retinopathy of Prematurity Videos:
Animation: Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP) – YouTube
Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP) – YouTube
Retinopathy of Prematurity