Brufen Tablets :
lbuprofen is a member 0f the propionic acid group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). is a propionic acid derivative with analgesic. anti-inflammatory and anti·pyretic activity. The drug’s therapeutic effects are thought to result its inhibitory effect on the enzyme cydooxygenase.
which results in a marked reduction in synthesis.
Brufen Tablets indications :
Brufen Is lndicated for the treatment of :
– Rheumatoid arthritis, including juvenile arthritis Of stills disease, ankylosing spondylitis, Osteoarthritis
– Other non rheumatoid (seronegative) arthropathies and acute gouty arthritis. It Is also indicated for the treatment of non-articular rheumatic oondiIions and periarticular conditions such as frozen
shoulder, bursitis, lendiriIis, tenosynovitis and low – back pain.
– In the treatment of soft-tissue injuries such as sprains and strains, for relief of mild to moderate pain such as primary ctysmenorrhea. dental and post-operative pain postepisiotomy pain ,post partum pain and for the symptomatic relief of headache including migraine headache
Brufen Tablets dosage and administration :
brufen Tablets 200 mg / 400 mg/ 600 mg /Sachets 600 mg :
– The recommended dose is 1200 to 1800 mg per day in divided doses.
– Some patients can be maintained on 600 10 1200 mg/day.
– In severe and acute cases it could be advantageous to increase the dosage until the acute phase is over
– Daily dose should not exceed 2400 mg in divided doses.
Brufen retard 800 mg :
– The recommeoded daily dosage of slow release ibuprofen is two tablets as asingle dose, preferably in the early evening, well before retiring to bed The tablets should be swallowed whole with plenty of fluid. In severe Or acute conditions. the total daily dose may be incteased to three tablets in divided doses
No special dose modifications are necessary unless renal or hapatic function is impaired in which case dosage should be assessed individually. Caution should be taken with dosage in this group
– Daily dose of ibuprofen is 20 mg/ kg body weight in divided doses.
– this can be achieved by using the syrup as follows:
Age Dose Frequency
1-2 years 2.5 ml 50 mg 3-4 times aday
3-7 year 5 ml 100 mg 3-4 times aday
8-12 years 10 ml 20 mg 3-4 times aday
NB: Bfufenibuprofen is not recommended for children weight less than 7 kg ibuprofen 800, slow release ibuprofen and Ibuprofen granules are not suitable for children under the age 01 12 years. In Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. up to 40 mg/kg body weight per day in divided doses may be taken.
Brufen Tablets Contraindications :
– Cardiovascular Risk:
NSAIDs may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal this risk may increase with duration of use.
Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greeter riak. NSAlDs contraindicated for the treatment of peri-operative Pain In the setting (CABG) surgery
Gastrointestinal Risk :
NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events Inctuding inflammation, bleeding, ulceration,and perforetion of the stomach or Intestines, which can be fatel these events, can occur at eny time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly petients are at risk for serious gastrointestinal events.
Brufen Tablets warnings & precautions :
General Precautions :
Undesirable effects may be minimized by Using the lowest effective dose 101 the shortost duration necessary In control symptoms (see DOSAGE AND ADMINtSTAATION). As with other NSADIS. Bfulen may mask the signs of Illtection. Geriatric Use: Elderly patients have an increased frequency of adverse reactions to NSAIDs. especiaIly gastrointestinal bleeding and perforation, with may be fatal.
gastrointestinal bleeding, ulceration and perforation lbuprofen should be given with care to patients with a history of peptic ulceration and other gastrointestinal disease since their conditions may be exacerbate Gastrointestinal bleeding.