PDA

View Full Version : Volk Lens Optom Use video

Medical Videos
07-24-2012, 09:17 PM
A lens will last ten years or more - so get a good one! They get good prices on EBay, so you can always sell and move on. 90ds is what everyone goes for-there is not much difference with the wide angle:its heavier though. 66ds gives easy sizing - takes lots of practice and is my general use favourite. My other is a standard 90ds.

Don't ever forget great hygiene - so clean the slitlamp and yr hands between each patient.

Its best learned on undilated pupils - after learning - then using a mydriatic = its a breeze and you will have good technique already.

It must be done in a darkened room. The plan is to keep the patients pupil as unconstricted as possible-so go as dark as possible.

Keep talking and explaining all the time = it will help your patient relax and forms a conversation that will help if you do see any pathology. Explaining what you are seeing will help you to remember the details for writing your notes.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Keep the lens and the slit lamp paraxial with the patients pupil.

We will upload a guide to calibrate the slit lamp to allow measurements of the optic disk, from the 1mm slit.

Medium brightness of the slit lamp is all that is needed: contast reduces if you slam the brightness up high. Also, if brightness is very high - you can't vary the brightness up and down to gain an extra tool!

Start using low mag. 1mm slit high and 1/2 mm. wide.

Start by looking at the disk you should be bang on it - if you have lined up properly and the patient is looking at your ear (right ear for examiniing right fundus) or a fixation target on the wall - I use a small testing chart.

Keep the light within the disk - its the blindspot and the pupil will relax even more. fine tune the clarity and then analyse the disk. Then look around..

- we will be putting up more vids for tricks and tips to visualise the retina and Macula

Thank you
This vid was a collaberation
we welcome comments to build up a beginners skill base
I2xCWmo2JVA