PDA

View Full Version : Young And Committed, Australia

Medical Videos
09-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Aaron D'Souza, won the PSA Young Pharmacist of the Year award at PAC on August 24.

While he is only in the early years of his career, Mr D'Souza is already contributing to driving change in the profession to ensure pharmacy, as a community and health care service, continues to meet the varying needs of Australians.

'I'd like to be a bit of a voice for young pharmacists, I think we have a lot to offer,' Mr D'Souza said.

'Generational change is going to start happening in the country in the next five to 10 years and I'd like to be there with groups like NAPSA and the young pharmacist organisations from all around the country no matter what organisation they are associated with,' he said.

'I'd like to see young pharmacists as a group come together and create and be part of that generational change, I'd love to see young pharmacists become more involved in the groups and councils and committees and subcommittees, and everything else that is available in this great profession, which fosters all of its members no matter what stage they are [at] in the profession.'

Mr D'Souza also paid tribute and thanks to his family and pharmacy mentors.

This year he became a Special Projects Pharmacist for Terry White Management, and continues to work as Pharmacist Up-Front at Terry White Chemists Myer Centre in Queensland, where he first started in 2005.

In 2006 he received an International Pharmacy Federation (Western Pacific Pharmaceutical Forum) Travel Scholarship, allowing him to attend the 2006 FIP Conference in Brazil, and a self-directed study tour of pharmacy practices worldwide.

He has been Chairman of the Young Pharmacists Group (YPG) since last year, and has made representations on behalf of young pharmacists and the profession to political leaders including Prime Minister John Howard and Federal Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd. He graduated from the University of Queensland, and won the PSA Queensland Eleanor Chalmers Prize in his fourth year in 2004.

The PSA Excellence Awards are sponsored by Symbion Pharmacy Services.

http://www.psa.org.au (http://www.psa.org.au/)