Apidone syrup composition :
Each 5 ml contains:
– dexamethasone 0.5 mg
– chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg
Apidone syrup properties :
It is a combination of synthetic glucocorticoid (dexamethasone) and antihistamine (chlorpheniramine maleate).
~ Has a potent anti inflammatory effect (7 times the potency of prednisolone)
~ Lacks the sodium – retaining properties of hydrocortisone due to its insignificant mineralocorticoid activity.
~ Inhibits the inflammatory response whatever the cause is; chemical,
traumatic, infectious or immunological.
~ Reduces capillary permeability and local edema by inhibiting the release of chemical mediators.
~ Suppresses allergic responses
Chlorpheniramine maleate :
~ Is one of the most potent antihistamines with a rapi action
~ Antagonizes the physiological action of histamine by acting as an H1-receptor blocking agent.
~ Controls the allergic reaction associated with rhinitis, bronchial asthma, dermatological disorders and other allergic conditions.
Apidone syrup indications :
It is mainly indicated in inflammatory conditions, and some severe allergic diseases such as :
– Bronchial asthma
– Allergic Rhinitis
– Otitis media with effusion
– Atopic and contact dermatitis
– Hypersensitivity reactions to chemicals, or insect bites
– Steven Johnson syndrome and other allergic disorders
– Some endocrine and rheumatic diseases
– Urticaria and Angioedema
Apidone syrup contraindications :
– Systemic fungal infection
– Administration of live virus vaccines
– Hypersensitivity to any of the drug’s components
– Don,t use for children less than 2 years.
– Not to be used for children less than 6 years without medical supervision
Apidone syrup precautions :
It should be taken with care in patients with:
– Peptic ulcer
– Any infection as it may mask its symptoms
Apidone syrup dosage :
Dosage requirements are variable and must be individualized according to the severity of the disease and the response of the patient:
– Children above 2 years: 1/2 teaspoonful (2.5 ml) 3 times daily.
– Adults: 1 teaspoonful (sml) 3 times daily.
* ln severe cases the dose can be increased and adjusted by the physician.
* The dose should be gradually decreased during withdrawal of the drug (tapering dose).
Bottles of 125 ml. syrup.
AMOUN PHARMACEUTICAL CO.
EI-Obour City, Cairo, Egypt.