Default Varicose Veins Video

Varicose veins usually announce themselves as bulging, bluish cords running just beneath the surface of your skin. They almost always affect legs and feet. Visible swollen and twisted veins -- sometimes surrounded by patches of flooded capillaries known as spider veins -- are considered superficial varicose veins. Although they can be painful and disfiguring, they are usually harmless. When inflamed, they become tender to the touch and can hinder circulation to the point of causing swollen ankles, itchy skin, and aching in the affected limb.

Besides a surface network of veins, your legs have an interior, or deep, venous network. On rare occasions, an interior leg vein becomes varicose. Such deep varicose veins are usually not visible, but they can cause swelling or aching throughout the leg and may be sites where blood clots can form.
    Varicose veins are a relatively common condition, and for many people they are a family trait. Women are at least twice as likely as men to develop them. In the U.S. alone, they affect about 23% of all Americans.

Symptoms
    Varicose veins usually don't cause any pain. Signs you may have varicose veins include:

• Veins that are dark purple or blue in color
    • Veins that appear twisted and bulging; often like cords on your legs

• When painful signs and symptoms occur, they may include:
    • An achy or heavy feeling in your legs
    • Burning, throbbing, muscle cramping and swelling in your lower legs
    • Worsened pain after sitting or standing for a long time
    • Itching around one or more of your veins
    • Skin ulcers near your ankle, which can mean you have a serious form of vascular disease that requires medical attention

Spider veins are similar to varicose veins, but they're smaller. Spider veins are found closer to the skin's surface and are often red or blue. They occur on the legs, but can also be found on the face. Spider veins vary in size and often look like a spider's web.

How varicose veins form

Varicose veins are swollen veins that lie under the skin. They usually affect the legs, particularly the calf and sometimes the thigh.

References:
    Varicose veins Symptoms - Mayo Clinic

Understanding Varicose Veins -- the Basics

Interests
    reading going to church and helping people
    Country

Country

Occupation
    practical nurse

it was good but did not understand everything

Interests
    MegoApopleGO
    Biography
    (Man)
    Country

Country

Occupation
    Austria

Default Varicose Veins Video

Hi all, I read about Emilys surgery EVLT and also latelatebloomers varicose vein problems and I wanted to share some of my own difficulties with VVs and ask you guys some questions. First of all I have had VV for years now, and yes, cycling really helps alot, but Im a surgical nurse and spend alot of time on my feet and the past couple years I have had more and more pain. I have been wearing support hose for at least 2 years just when I go to work.
    Heres the thing... I can deal with the pain in my everyday living, but Im wondering how much the varicose veins EFFECT my cycling. I raced road last year and many times experienced cramping in my right calf my right leg is worse than my left. When I have intense hard workouts and go to sprint, I sometimes feel like someone is squeezing my whole right leg, especially in my calves, I feel this tightness and some cramping. I cant help but wonder if my varicose veins have something to do with this. Ive been training really hard to be ready to race again this year, but I worry if the VV hold me back from being stronger and faster on the bike. Ive seen 3 cardiovascular docs and none of them think the VV make my cycling worse. They do however, say that cycling will help prevent the VV from getting worse of course we already know that. As a nurse and as an athlete, I cant help but wonder, if the circulation is not efficient and the blood with the lactic acid cannot be taken away quick enough, cant that result in cramping and pain in the muscles? Well, after seeing 3 surgeons, none of them seem to be able to tell me what I want to hear--that the EVLT surgery WILL in fact, help my legs to function better on the bike. None of them would guarantee this. They all said, that definitely, I should have less pain in general and especially after a long day at work... but what Im really hoping for, is that it helps my legs feel better after a long day on my bike Emily, you are the only female cyclist I have heard of that has had this surgery---please share with me your feelings about this procedure and HOW IT EFFECTED your cycling. My surgery is scheduled for February 26th and they are also doing a ligation and a phlebectomy. The surgeon did ultrasound my leg and said I am definitely a candidate and my saphenous veins are incompetent. I wanted to do this in the winter before racing season started, but I just found out my insurance will pay for this 100 So I think I should do it now and get it over with and hope that Im not off the bike too long and can get right back into it and maybe race about one month after the surgery. The doctor said he wants me off the bike for at least one week. Im wondering how it will feel once I get back to riding. I guess my biggest fear is that I will lose alot of fitness and maybe even have more pain than before. Or that it takes me out of the racing season for months. Any comments or advice is appreciated THanks for reading my long post Susie