||Thread Tools||Rate Thread||Display Modes|
|04-21-2008, 11:15 AM||post no: 1|
Congenital Atresia (Aetiology-Varieties-Diagnosis-Treatment)
Embriological failure of oesophageal canalisation in one segment with or without tracheo-oesophageal fistula
1. Atresia with fistula to the lower segment 85%.
2. Atresia with fistula to the upper segment 2%.
3. Atresia with fistula to both segments 1%.
4. Atresia without fistula 12%.
Excessive salivation & inability of feeding the infant.
‚ Failure of passing a catheter through the oesophagus.
ƒ Radiography l Plain X-ray film ® No gas in the stomach means there is no fistula to the lower segment.
l Lipiodiol injection shows the level of atresia.
· Aim of operation: Surgical establishment of continuity of oesophagus & closure of the fistula.
· Technique: Cervical esophagostomy can prevent aspiration of the accumulated saliva and should be carried out when it becomes apparent that the two ends will not join primarily.
* If primary repair is possible circular myotomy may help overcome the gap. Delay operation is beneficial as it allows dilatation of the distal segment by gastroesophageal reflux.
* When the gap is long and primary anastomosis is not possible, the esophagus is replaced by gastric tube or a segment of the colon.
SOURCE: DR. AYMAN SALEM'S BOOK
Copyright: Vascular Society of Egypt (www.vsegypt.org) &Medical Engineering Forums (www.mediengi.com)
Not to be reproduced without permission of Vascular Society of Egypt
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Mumbai, India Offers World's First Permanent Eye Treatment For Keratoconus At Shroff||Admin||Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons||1||10-29-2010 03:23 AM|
|Painless Hemorrhoid Treatment||Admin||Gastroenterology||0||04-17-2008 11:30 AM|
|In Lung Cancer Radiology, PET Scan Can Determine Outcome Of Treatment||Admin||Radiology||0||07-28-2007 05:47 PM|
|PET Scan Shows During Treatment If Radiation Is Shrinking Lung Tumor||Admin||Radiology||0||07-28-2007 05:46 PM|
|Xeloda Approved In Europe For The Treatment Of Advanced Stomach Cancer||Admin||Gastroenterology||0||04-21-2007 09:42 PM|